Monday, June 13, 2011

A life-giving flood

We in Columbus know quite a bit about stagnant water.  It stinks.  It ruins things.  It breeds nasty mosquitoes.

In Sunday's sermon, Pastor Cook reminds us that our hearts without Jesus are much like stagnant water: stinking, ugly, and yielding only death.  Just as land cannot clean itself, we cannot free ourselves from our sinful condition.  But God's mercy is poured on us through Christ, in Baptism, and by the gift of the Holy Spirit.  Thanks to His life-saving flood of grace, we are cleansed and refreshed.  We receive, and we live.

For Sunday's Pentecost sermon, click here.

I heard the voice of Jesus say, "Behold I freely give
The living water, thirsty one,
Stoop down and drink and live

I came to Jesus and I drank of that life-giving stream
My thirst was quenched, my soul revived
And now I live in Him.

(LSB 699, I Heard the Voice of Jesus say, verse 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment